LEARNING TO SUPPORT THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY
I wish I could say that I’ve always been an advocate of LGBTQ+ rights, but like many who are visiting this site, I was religiously indoctrinated against their pain, their experiences, their realities, and their humanity.
I thought I was being “righteous” and “kind” when I actively campaigned for California’s Proposition 8 in 2008 to ban gay and lesbian marriage in the state. I thought I was serving God and I wasn’t quiet or apologetic about my stance because I hadn’t taken the time to put myself in their shoes or look at the world through their experience.
Through the patient kindness of LGBTQ+ people and allies, I was taught to see how inhumane my views were and how much suffering these views brought to a community of people who were often already hurting and lonely.
I was appalled when I realized my activism against the LGBTQ+ community actually went against my deep personal values of kindness, generosity, compassion, and empathy.
Once I understood my contribution to the shame and exclusion we often heap on gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer individuals, I vowed that I would do my best to be a force for inclusion and healing for members of this community for the rest of my days.
WHY THE TREVOR PROJECT?
I was introduced to the Trevor Project back in 2017 in conjunction with the Love Loud Festival set up by Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons. The festival brought an amplified awareness to Utah and the Mormon community about the detrimental experiences LGBTQ+ youth are having while involved in the highly religious culture.
The Trevor Project specifically impressed me because of their national efforts to advocate for LGBTQ+ youth through legislation, litigation, and education. They offer all kinds of free resources to help prevent discrimination, stigma, and other factors that put LGBTQ+ youth at a higher risk of suicide.
TREVOR PROJECT ADVOCACY PROGRAMS INCLUDE:
- SUPPORTING HOMELESS YOUTH: A group that is disproportionately comprised of LGBTQ+ individuals
- PROVIDING SUPPORT EDUCATION: To teachers who can provide vital support to LGBTQ+ youth in crisis
- HEALTH CARE: Promoting policies that improve the health of LGBTQ+ youth and provide better access to mental health care.
- LEGISLATING AGAINST CONVERSION THERAPY: Through their 50 bills/ 50 states programs, The Trevor Project, hopes to protect LGBTQ+ youth from the abusive and traumatic practice of conversion therapy offered by high-demand religions.
- ADVOCATING FOR LGBTQ+ MILITARY MEMBERS: providing support both to the youth and their families
- RESEARCH: Supporting exhaustive data collection on LGBTQ+ youth in order to champion meaningful change.
YOUR PURCHASE SUPPORTS NOT ONLY YOU, BUT ALSO LGBTQ+ YOUTH:
10% of all purchases made in conjunction with Emancipated Coaching, LLC whether group programs, one-to-one coaching, or one-hour workshops are donated monthly to The Trevor Project.
As you gift yourself the ability to release religious indoctrination and trauma you’re also gifting mental health services and relief to those most vulnerable to religious messages of fear and shame.
When we work together, we don’t just improve the quality of our own lives.
Together, we make the world a safer place for everyone who’s been adversely affected by high-demand religion.
ARE YOU READY TO LIBERATE YOURSELF FROM PERFECTIONISM?
In this free online course, learn how to stop beating yourself up for your perceived imperfections and start living life with more confidence and compassion.